Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hope and Despair Abroad

I travel quite a bit for work and love to travel for vacation.  I think that my initial fascination with Detroit started as a nearby (and much more affordable) mini adventure.  The more that I experience it, the more that I love it.  

I recently returned from a business trip to Chicago.  We had taken our family there for vacation last year but this was my first visit since I started recording my adventures in Detroit.  At first, I felt a sense of despair.  Downtown Chicago is impressive by most measures.  It is full of museums, restaurants, live entertainment, and full of life with people walking, biking, and plenty of horns honking.  I felt overwhelmed with the work that it would take to get Detroit to measure up.  My despair only lasted for a short while though.

Detroit has its own unique treasures.  It has a history and it has a future.  The average visitor might not see its awesomeness now, but I have.  Cliff Bells has more class than the blues bar I visited in Chicago.  The Whitney is more unique and just as delicious at the restaurant on Michigan Avenue.  And for me, the most important part is that I can play a role in making it better.  This is my city and I am proud of it.  I look forward to having out of town guests.  Watch out Canadian in-laws, Mizzou classmates, and business guests...I have a treat for you the next time you are in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment